Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Architecture-Dragons-Bananas

Mum has found this thing called Google Sketch-up which is a piece of software  that allows you to make 3D models of houses buildings and even vehicles you can make your dream house and print it and put up on your wall or maybe make a concept car design or just muck around with random shapes and objects we have made a couple of designs. So next week I will have some models to share.


BANANA FOOD TRUCK IDEA *bing sound*
I know what you're thinking, bananas have already been named bananas... BUT we are talking about something you can make out this fruit: FRIED MONKEY HEARTS. I mean like this is what monkey hearts would look like if the darn world wasn't so realistic. They would be made of bananas and icing sugar. Now what this recipe is really called is Samoan Panikeke
Samoan bananas waiting at the market for cooks
Fried Monkey Heart or Banana Panikeke
When we were in Samoa this year, we had traditional banana panikeke for breakfast with golden syrup and I remember sitting on the balcony for breakfast by the ocean with the taste of bananas, syrup, pineapple juice and it was all thrilling my taste buds. Just the thing you need to get enough energy to spend the day snorkeling and looking at electric blue fish. They are so scrumptiously yummy that we decided to make our own version of these yummy Samoan delicacies. But because I have an imagination  I instantly thought ours looked like money hearts instead of the neat little balls that the Samoan cooks can make! Here is the recipe for them below.
You need:
3/12 cups flour
1 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 very ripe bananas
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/12 cups warm water
oil for frying
icing sugar
Step 1: mash bananas
Step 2: Combine all ingredients to make a smooth sticky dough.
Step 3: Use 2 spoons and scoop batter into hot oil, fry one side and then the other or just keep turning them over
Some advice: If your oil is too hot, you get burned money hearts (that's gruesome) and if your oil is too cool then you get raw money hearts (that's gothic)

Step 4: Scoop them out and sprinkle on icing sugar.

Step 5: Munch on them before going snorkelling.
Close up of perfect Fried Monkey Heart.
Crazy Food Truck Cook
 Now something exciting. I sent an email to Carole Wilkinson, author of Dragonkeeper series (Dragonkeeper, Garden of the Purple Dragon, Dragon Moon, Dragon Dawn).
She has written many novels and such, but mum has read the series to my sister, and to her classes of kids and we decided it would be a cool home-school series to read aloud.  We loved the books so much I decided to write an email to her and tell her about the School-Cave and our dragon garden that we made. I was so excited when mum found the email from her. We were jumping off the walls so we are posting this link to her blog in thanks for reading our email Dragon Keeper author Carole Wilkinson's Blog and for saying she will post the photos of me in my dragon garden on her blog. She is also going to put a link to the school cave. It's nice to know that people actually read your emails and letters.

This has been the school cave blog post for the week (sorry for not posting last week I was really busy eating chocolate- hehehe)

Tallyho The-O

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for keeping your blog going. It looks like you had another great term full of creativity and tasty treats. Congratulations of getting a response from Carole Wilkinson. Your posts continue to impress me, sharing your the ideas through your blog do have a SNOWBALL effect (Cascading effect); for example, I’m sure there will be quite a few people who will now want to make your monkey hearts. I know I do.!! Since your food truck franchise has not made it to Canada yet I will have to try making them myself. Thanks for the tips on the oil temperature.
    Cheers mate
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think "SNOWBALL effect" is a Canadian term, but you know all about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you make any dreamy designs with the Googletool?

    ReplyDelete